Stop trying to ‘manage time’ and do this instead…
Time management and productivity hacks are mostly useless if you don’t firstly know WHY your time truly matters to you.
Here’s what I’ve learned over the past 20 years of my career:
- Accept that you can’t manage time, but you can manage your choices and decisions.
- Work on getting crystal clear on why your time matters to you.
- Figure out what you’re really good at and the value you bring.
- Say no to what you shouldn’t be doing.
- Be honest with yourself about what you can’t do well (harder than you think!).
- Stop saying yes; to save other people, for recognition, to feel important.
- Resist the craving to be busy. Any fool can be busy.
- Continually increase the amount of control you have of your schedule (you have more control than you believe).
- Block out more thinking time for yourself.
- Create some non-negotiable boundaries.
- Delegate and ask for help. Other people grow when they get to do what they’re good at.
- Stop trying to do everything in one day.
- Your work will be waiting for you tomorrow.
Know that when you get clear on WHY your time matters, you can start to make better choices and decisions about where you spend your time. More importantly, you can say NO with confidence, kindness and integrity.