How to deal with change at work…
Working in a fast-paced industry (marketing & sales) with a rapidly evolving organisation (IMPACT) requires a measured temperament for change.
Like me, I’m sure you’ve reacted to change in a way that doesn’t align with your values and principles.
Self-awareness in these moments is how we learn to respond better to new ideas.
Here are my personal lessons on change at work:
- While a few things are changing, most things stay the same
- Everything is born from change and most change will be good for me
- I get to choose how and when change affects me
- Most change happens slowly over time – It’s not as immediate as I first think
- Don’t act and behave like the change is actually happening when it’s simply ideas that are being discussed
- If I try to protect myself I will stifle good ideas
- Some change won’t affect me at all, and certainly not as much as I think
- I have more control over how change affects me and my work than I first think
- I only have control over how I respond. I cannot control everything
- It’s not about me
Writing these statements has helped me to appreciate and accept my role in change at work.
Ultimately, I can either lead and shape the changes that take place, or be dragged along.
I know which I’d prefer.