I believe we have an obligation to read for pleasure, in private and in public places. If we read for pleasure, if others see us reading, then we learn, we exercise our imaginations. We show others that reading is a good thing.Neil Gaiman (Source)
My focus on reading is to make better choices. I’m looking at what smart people are reading and taking direction from them. Instead of being distracted by new books I’m focusing on important books that I’ve overlooked and books I’ve bought but never read.
I’m also reviewing my reading at the start of every month and trying my best to stick to my plan of what I want/need to read.
2019 was the first year that I created a ‘re-reading list’ – a list of books that have had such a great impact on me that I’ll be revisiting. I’ve included my re-reading list for 2021 on this page.
What you’ll find here is books I’ve read or that I’m currently reading. I’m not going to recommend a book to you that I haven’t read. Oh, and you can join me on Goodreads ( where you can find out what I’m currently reading and read my book reviews).
You should be extending your stay among writers whose genius is unquestionable.Seneca – Letter II
To keep up to date with what I’m reading, head over to Goodreads and join me there.
Theme for 2021…the biography!
- Churchill by Andrew Roberts
- Einstein by Water Isaacson
- Da Vinci by Walter Isaacson
- Grant and Hamilton by Ron Chernow
- Indira by Katherine Frank
- Mandela by Anthony Simpson
- Obama – A promised Land
- Tolstoy by Rosamund Bartlett
2021 re-reads [/r]
…if at any moment you find yourself wanting a change from a particular author, go back to the ones you have read before.Seneca – Letter II
- The war of art by Steven Pressfield
- Einstein’s Dreams by Alan Lightman
- The four agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday
- The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday
- Stillness is the key by Ryan Holiday
- Man’s search for meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
- Ten arguments for deleting your social media accounts right now by Jaron Lanier
- Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
- The family board meeting by Jim Sheils
- Big fish by Daniel Wallace
- The boy, the mole, the fox and the horse by Charlie Mackesy
- The road by Cormac McCarthy
- Atomic Habits by James Clear
- How to be a friend by Marcus Tullius Cicero
- In praise of wasting time by Alan Lightman
- When breath becomes air by Paul Kalanithi
Daily reading and journals…
- The daily Stoic (Passages) by Ryan Holiday
- The daily Stoic journal (Prompts) By Ryan Holiday
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
- Letters from a Stoic by Seneca
- A calendar of wisdom by Leo Tolstoy
- Discourses and selected writings by Epictetus
Enter your details in the boxes below and I’ll remind you when the next challenge is starting
Read in 2021…