This is a very small excerpt from the book ‘E-Myth Revisited’ by Michael Gerber.
Gerber begins the Business Development Process by asking us to think hard about our primary aim.
Here is the short exercise from the book – Define your primary Aim?
Before you start your business, or before you return to it tomorrow, ask yourself the following questions.These questions will help to provide you with a purpose, energy and the grist for your day-to-day mill.
- What do I wish my life to look like?
- How do I wish my life to be on a day-to-day basis?
- What would I like to be able to say I truly know in my life?
- How would I like to be with other people in my life – my family, my friends, my businesses associates, my customers, my employees, my community.
- What would I like to be doing two years from now? Ten years from now? Twenty years from now? When my life comes to a close?
- What specifically would I like to learn during my life – spiritually, physically, financially, technically, intellectually? About relationships?
- How much money will I need to do the things I wish to do? By when will I need it?
You primary aim is so important to the success of your business. With no clear picture of how you wish your life to be, how on eater can you live up to it?
- How would you know what first steps to take?
- How would you measure your progress?
- How would you know where you were?
- How would you know how far you had gone?
- How would you know how much farther you had to go?
“I believe great people to be those who know how they got where they are, and what they need to do to get where they are going.”
“Great people create their lives actively”
If you are just starting out in business or have been in business for a while, this book is a must read! You can buy the book by clicking here: E-myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It
Take 15 minutes to at least start plotting some answers to these questions. I think you will find them quite useful. Dream big and don’t be afraid to!
There are 2 main ways to comment. Either using the Facebook application below of scroll further to comment directly on the website.