I have worked with a few clients now who have decided, for a number of reasons, to have their blog hosted on a different site as opposed to having their blog directly on their company website.
It is possible that there were good reasons for doing this in the first place, however I just want to quickly highlight the positive impact your blog will have upon your website if you integrate it, instead of having it hosted separately.
3 Reasons Why You Need To Have Your Blog On Your Website: –
- Drive Traffic to Your Website
- Your blog can be used to drive traffic directly to your website. Normal practice would be to send out a link to your blog posts via social media platforms, email and RSS. The link will then direct your readers to your blog, and if this is hosted on your website you can then encourage them to stay and browse other sections of your website including your services and products.
- Keep Visitors on Your Website
- Once your visitor has reached your blog, you can keep them there by having something else close by. This could either be a call to action (CTA), where your visitor might want to click through to buy your products/services, or more links to other interesting articles which will encourage visitors to read more and stay on your site for longer. You could also display an area for visitors to subscribe to your mailing list. Your visitors can also quickly navigate to other pages on your website – if the location of your navigation bar is clear and easy to get to.
- Increase Search Engine Ranking
- Search engines, such as Google, put weight upon changing content and the amount of traffic that visit your website. If your blog is generating traffic and you are putting out consistently good and new content, then having that on your website is much better than having it hosted with a different service provider. Your website can take full advantage of the traffic and changing content instead of your blogging service, increasing your overall website search ranking. Google loves unique and fresh content!
- Get a WordPress site – it’s VERY easy to manage your blog content. – WordPress.org
- Make sure your content is fresh, unique and helpful. Spend time thinking about what your audience would like to read and then get it out there. The more interesting and helpful the better!
- Relevant and accurate content will add credibility to you and your business. It will also act as a marketing and PR tool and increase the likelihood of visitors doing business with you.
- Blog consistently – decide how often and when you will publish blogs and then stick to the plan. Consistency is really important, not just for search engine ranking, but for your audience too!
- Get an editor – get someone to proof read your blogs to make sure they make sense, read well and do not contain spelling or grammatical errors.
- Make good use of Google Analytics to analyse what your visitors do when they are on your site. This will help you underst and what areas of your site are popular, how your visitors are entering and exiting your site and what they are doing while they are visiting. Important metrics are Page Views per Visit, Visit Duration, Traffic Sources, Entrance Key Words, Time on Page and Bounce Rate.